27 October 2012

Diary scraps


5 February 2000

I'm at my own desk for once and the light is good--sun, although weak, through the
geraniums.  I'm wearing two sweaters because it's February and mildly cold in
here.  I realize I don't give a damn about much but writing and I want to
inform myself of all else through this act.  Trying to "put together" my poem
about Louise Bourgeois, I have a line-up of dashing exercises to write all
over her sculpture.  Hands, scraps, Memory.  In my conversation
with Dave Griffith @ Beehive I said that we all have a preoccupation with
Memory and it is hard to assert our experience without self-trivializing.
That contradiction is always with me, the fever burning through me.  I
cannot "pin down" the poem because I haven't written it yet.  Perhaps I just
want to write only essays and diaries.  The word "diary" makes me want to
write.  I love the thought of my diaries all lined up, frayed and damaging,
telling my truth in the midst of great self-deception.

No comments: