02 November 2012

Over the summer I unplugged from most digital communication and made a drawing a day. When it was going well, a veil descended and I shifted out of a restless mind frame and into a state of complete openness and receptivity, calm and silence. Some of the drawings were speedy outlines of whatever was next to my borrowed bed. And there were so many borrowed beds as I traveled/worked/visited family and friends in the UK, France and America. Sometimes I spent an evening on one page, as in the above drawing. I stayed at a friend's room in Montmartre with a sweeping view of the sky-washed city. I felt protected within the structure of my teaching schedule, which, though intense, left time for long quiet spaces in the evening. In Northern Europe, in the summer, the daylight stretches out until 10 o'clock at night. I finished this drawing and a sadness came over me, Paris, a place I lived for years, the calls of the swallows as they swooped over chimney pots a'flame in the setting sun. The unpacked suitcase and the hours.

No comments: